Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Spaghetti Carbonara - the Emily Way!

If you had told me a year ago I could make Spaghetti Carbonara, I would have said, "No way!"  Just the title intimidated me - sounded so sophisticated!  But this meal was so easy, it's ridiculous! 
I had asked the Big Guy to bring home eggs.  Eggs are a crucial ingredient to make Spaghetti Carbonara.  Due to life at the office, he was later than my normal dinner hours.  I had everything prepped ready for the eggs to walk in the door.  Salads were ready minus the dressing, corn sitting on the cooktop, noodles ready.  So as soon as the eggs walked in the door, I had dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes!
I changed the Spaghetti Carbonara recipe to accommodate what was in my fridge and pantry.  Instead of bacon, I used thinly sliced, slivers of Smithfield ham from our Thanksgiving dinner.  Instead of spaghetti, I used linguine noodles.  And a chunk of Reggiano cheese was in the fridge, so I grated it instead of Parmesan.  Last change, I tossed in green peas from last night's dinner as well.  If cleaned plates are a review, the boys gave it 5 stars!  They sat and ate, no talking, no playing.  Very simple but flavorful meal!
Spaghetti Carbonara is simply bacon (or ham in my case) cooked, then sauteed with minced garlic.  Add white wine.  In a seperate dish, beat eggs, add cheese.  Add the egg mixture and ham mixture to the hot pasta with a little bit of hot water from the cooked pasta.  Mix all together and say a Big YUM!  That's how simple it is!  Perfect meal for entertaining as well!
Lynn and her kitchen adventures posted this fabulous recipe of Spaghetti Carbonara.  It was so good!  Hope you enjoy it with a glass of white wine!
Featured on Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday and All the Small Stuff's Tuesdays at the Table!



2 comments: