Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Burgers! A little Ketchup, Onion, Mayo - how about You???

I LOVE burgers!  I can remember one summer literally eating a burger a day.  Of course, I was around 13 with a fast metabolism and probably didn't eat too much else for the day!  Can't quite do that as I slide close to 40!  But burgers are still a fast, good sit down to dinner meal at home for us.  And even when the thermometer shows the temperature in the 30s, I fire up our gas grill.  Kind of neat to crunch in the snow while grilling hamburgers.
Burgers are one of those foods that are easily adaptable.  Want to make them "healthier"  - go ground turkey or even a Black Bean burger?  Want to jazz them up a bit - dice jalapeno, tomato, and add shredded cheese for a South of the Border twist!  What about sauteing mushrooms and sliced onions in a pan and topping the hamburger with Swiss cheese on a bun?  The possibilities are endless!  Just think of the chain restaurants who have made a fortune just serving Hamburgers!  Red Robin - Yummmm!  First one to pop in my head!
Tonight, I simply added dry onion soup mix you purchase in packets at the grocery store, 4 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, and 2 teaspoons garlic powder to our 2 lbs of Ground Beef. For a good juicy burger, I recommend ground beef with 80/20 ratio.  93/7 is much leaner - and healthier - but you do loose a bit of flavor.  I pat my hamburgers out by hand.  From 2 lbs of beef, I made 6 burgers.  If Big Guy had been making them, it would have been 5 BIG burgers.  The grill is a hot 350 -365 degrees.  We use a gas grill and only fire the back and front burners, not the middle, for indirect heat cooking.  I grill them for 8-9 minutes per side, adding sliced cheese the last 2 minutes to melt.  Slide onto a whole wheat bun!  A slice of American Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment