Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Honey Soy Wahoo with Quinoa Pilaf

I am very blessed to have a family member who lives at the NC coast.  Every visit, our freezer is stocked of various fish - wahoo, tuna, peanut dolphin, and flounder.  I grew up in the middle of NC where the only kind of fish we ate was fried flounder at Seafood houses (restaurants that were normally just open for the weekend).  So the Big Guy has broadened my horizons in the seafood department.  I still can't tell you the difference when looking at frozen fish of tuna, wahoo, or dolphin.  But typically how I cook them doesn't matter.
Yes, we live in the South and enjoy fried just about anything.  But finding other recipes for fish is nice.  Grilling and broiling fish are very enjoyable to my family as well.
Fish is so easy - and fast!   The quinoa pilaf took longer to cook than the fish.
Once the fish was thawed, I mixed the marinade of soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger, and scallions.  Spooned it over the fish to marinate - I did mine for about 30 minutes as that was when I had my hands free.  The recipe calls for 15 minutes. 

Fish marinating
To broil, I sprayed non-stick cooking spray in a dish, placed the fish in the dish and under the broiler for about 7 minutes.  Great sweet and sour flavor from the vinegar and honey.  Everyone - including the 2 year old - enjoyed it!  Honey Soy Broiled Fish is a keeper!  Clink of the recipe link for exact measurements.
Quinoa is a favorite in our family.  The Teen gets excited when she sees it on the weekly menu.  Too bad she ate at a buffet from a Christmas dinner elsewhere tonight!
If you are unfamiliar with Quinoa, find it on the aisle with rice.  It's another grain that you can use in place of rice and full of nutrition.  Great nutty taste that you can do so much!  Quinoa Pilaf was so yummy!  The 2 year old ate all that was on the plate pictured and asked for 2, yes TWO, MORE servings!  Bonus, he was enjoying his veggies as well.

Quinoa Pilaf (from the back of Earthly Delights bag)

1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup quinoa, rinsed (this takes the bitter flavor out of it)
2 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken as that was on hand)
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped (I omitted)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in saucepan over med high heat.  Cook onion in oil for 5 min or until translucent.  Add carrot and cook for 3 min.  Stir in quinoa and broth, bring to a boil.  Reduce to simmer, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and fluffy.  In a separate bowl, toss quinoa together with walnuts and parsley.  Can be served hot or room temperature.

This recipe is linked to MouthWatering Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment