Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chicken, Bean and Tortellini Soup

Cold, rainy day and a super busy schedule means pull out the crockpot.  And this soup was the perfect meal to end the day!  Of course, it would have been more perfect had my bread rose and been edible but, eh, win some, loose some.  I'll work on the recipe for my bread machine another day...
I adapted the recipe Jaimie posted for her Chicken and White Bean Soup.  Half the battle was won as I pulled frozen already cooked, chopped chicken from the freezer.
CHICKEN AND WHITE BEAN SOUP4 c low sodium chicken stock (or enough to cover meat)
4 c fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 c celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fat trimmed)
Put raw chicken in the bottom of the crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Make sure the broth covers all the ingredients. Turn crock pot on high and cook for 4 hours. Take chicken breasts out, shred with two forks, and return to pot. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

I tossed everything else in the crockpot along with the chicken and went about our day, off to the museum with the boys and the Teen to usher at and enjoy "The Nutcracker" ballet.  When I arrived back home, ah, the heavenly smell that welcomed us at the door made the rushing earlier worthwhile.  The Big Guy was stirring the pot as I walked in the kitchen and suggested tortellini to be added.   Brilliant idea! As several of us - including me were starving - I cooked it according to the package directions, adding it to the soup!  YUM!  It was fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment