Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

Mexican - HomeStyle! Chili Relleno Casserole

One of our favorite dishes at the local Mexican restaurants is Chili Relleno.  YUM!  When I discovered this recipe for Chili Relleno Casserole on A Whisk and A Prayer (cool name!), I was tickled!  But I was a bit scared.  I had never bought any kind of pepper other than a green or red pepper.  Venturing into uncharted waters, I was fascinated by this section of produce I had overlooked before.  The recipe called for Anaheim peppers.  But the grocery store did not have those in stock.  They did have wonderful charts that gave me info on what peppers were similar and the heat intensity of them - staying away from the Habanero Chili!  So with the grocery store's help, I purchased Cubanelle peppers.
Roasting the peppers were super easy!  My fears were needless.  Simple but them on a baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and broil.  5 minutes, flip to other side.  5 more minutes and they were nice and roasted!  Due to the tip in the recipe, I tossed them into a Ziploc bag. Due to time constraints, I left the peppers to cool for about an hour.  The skins separated very nicely.  I sliced the peppers open, removed the seeds.  And this is what I had

Placed peppers in the bottom of a pan.  Browned ground turkey meat.  Mix together eggs, flour, sour cream, olives. Season with salt and pepper.  Layer over peppers, egg mixture, cheese, black beans and turkey.  Create another layer of egg mixture, cheese,black beans and turkey.  Top with enchilada sauce and cheese.  Bake at 350 for about 30 min.
This was so yummy!  The boys said it was "spicy" but they kept eating and eating and eating more!  These are the same two boys who literally drink the salsa at the Mexican restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment