Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sour Cream Pound Cake - a Tried and True recipe!

To me, some of the best desserts are the simple ones.  They bring back childhood memories.  Every October, my elementary/middle school hosted the most fabulous Fall Festival.  The Fall Festival was like none I have attended in the recent years.  The gymnasium was full of games made by parents, supervised by teachers and parents.  One of my favorites was "Go Fish" where you tossed your fishing line over the "pond" aka wooden board hiding the "fish" that tossed it back with a prize!  Basketball toss, Raffle Tickets, and even a Talent Show!  And there was always a Cake Walk!  My sweet tooth then loved a Cake Walk as much as I would now!  Walking around the circle as the music planned, hoping to land on the "right" number that would be chosen to win - what else, A Cake!  And these cakes were homemade - red velvet, carrot cake, and my favorite, Pound Cake!
So when I was deciding today what dessert to bake for a meal I will be taking to a family with a brand new addition, I thought, Pound Cake would be great!  And this recipe is so easy, no fail!  And so delicious, even the Big Guy who states he doesn't like sweets, takes extra bites!
And if for some reason (like me today), you don't have enough sour cream, you can substitute yogurt or even Greek yogurt for it.  It worked for me today!

Sour Cream Pound Cake

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp grated lemon peel (I used lemon juice as that's what I had on hand)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter softened/melted
8 oz sour cream
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour 10"bundt cake pan.  Mix all ingredients together. Pour into cake pan.  Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes until top of cake springs back when touched lightly in center.  Let cake cool completely in pan before trying to take it out.
Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice to drizzle over cake if desired.  

2 comments:

  1. I love poundcake... and I love all the variations you can do with it. This sounds wonderful adn would be perfect to take to Holiday parties. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by - I am loving your blog! I just scrolled through one page of posts and found many, and I mean MANY recipes to try out!

    ReplyDelete