Search This Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Oodles of Noodles! Chicken Noodle Soup

One family tradition we started just a few years ago was our immediate family (my parents and siblings' families) gather for a soup and sandwich luncheon.  We then enjoy watching the grand kids open their presents, playing games, and overall good family time!  Since we typically have another traditional Christmas meal on Christmas Day with turkey, ham and all the sides, we decided to change it up a bit - and make it easy on ourselves.  I make two soups and my sisters bring sandwich choices for us to have a nice buffet.  The soup selections were New England Corn Chowder (a friend's recipe) and Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup.  Both were so tasty and simple!  I'll post the recipe to the Chowder another time.  The Chicken Noodle Soup was perfect!  Highly suggest this recipe!  I used chicken from a store bought rotisserie chicken (why do more work than you need), cut up celery and carrots, added chicken broth, seasonings and store bought German egg noodles called Spaetzle.  I picked several bags of these noodles the other day at a favorite bargain grocery store, Aldi.  They are a German based company so when October rolls around, great German and European delights show up in their stores for fabulous prices!  Side note - if you love good chocolate - and I don't mean Hershey, much better - check out their European chocolates.  They taste just like Belgium chocolates we ate in the little Chocolatiers along cobblestone streets in Brussels!  Back to the soup - add all the ingredients as well as a little bit on cornstarch mixed with water. I left mine on the cooktop on low simmer for a bit so I would be ready prior to family arriving. It was SO SO good!   Great meal for anytime - cold night, week night, or if you have the sniffles!

Linked to Finding Joy in my Kitchen 2010 Soup Countdown

1 comment:

  1. What a great tradition! We had a stew this year for Christmas, and I think this will be our new tradition. This soup looks warm and comforting! Thanks for linking it to the countdown to 2011.

    ReplyDelete