Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Whip It, Now Whip It Good........ Potatoes

This song always comes into my head as I put my cooked potatoes in my mixer to whip them.  So if you ever come for dinner, and mashed potatoes are being served, pardon me as I sing a little of Devo.
So how do you make the Perfect Mashed Potatoes?  Personally, I believe mashed or whipped potatoes are subjective to a person's individual taste.  My grandmother whips her potatoes till they are smooth and creamy with a bit more liquid than not.  I prefer to use Red Potatoes, part for convenience (no need to peel them) and with not peeling them, you get a splash of the red skins against the white on your plate.  Eye appeal!  I have also made great mashed potatoes and not so great mashed potatoes.  Tonight's were exceptionally good.  To the point that my one child who does NOT like mashed potatoes are two servings of them and no meat.  This is the same child who can eat a 6 oz steak before touching his fries. 
So I will share you the tricks I used tonight.
Red Potatoes about 8.  I cut them into 1/8s to 1/6s depending on the size of the potato.  Put them in a pot with water covering them about an inch above the potatoes.  I toss in a chicken bouillon cube for an extra bit of flavor.  Boil for about 15-20 min till potatoes are tender. 
Drain and place into mixing boil.  Add 2 tablespoons of butter (you can use more, I just try to use less), 4 oz of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of plain yogurt, several dashes of dried parsley, and several dashes of garlic salt.   Whip in mixer (or by hand) for about 3 minutes.  They were so yummy!
-I have used sour cream in the past but the cream cheese seems to give the potatoes the same flavor without the extra liquid from the sour cream.
-The kind of potato you use makes a difference as well.
-Some have used a touch of nutmeg for a hint of flavor.
-Dill and thyme are good for mashed potatoes as well.
-Mash while still hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment