Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

So good I have to repeat - Pumpkin Oatmeal!

Two of my favorite foods - Pumpkin and Oatmeal!  A Whisk and A Prayer created one of the most perfect marriages with this dish!  A friend reminded me of this fabulous breakfast food (or snack) when she was looking for filling but healthy breakfast ideas!  So I whisked up a batch tonight, all ready for when I and the crew wake in the morning!

Pumpkin Oatmeal (recipe adapted from A Whisk and A Prayer)
1 cup old fashioned oats, not quick cook
1 Tbs whole flax seeds, optional (I didn't use them as I didn't have them - would if I had)
2 1/2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp butter, softened
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)

Topping: 
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
2 tsp butter, softened
1 Tbs brown sugar
NOTE - I only used the brown sugar sprinkled over each dish, truly due to lack of motivation to chop pecans late at night!

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 4 small dishes (I made 3 servings) or a dish no bigger than 8X8.  Toss Oatmeal with salt.  Set aside.  Mix Vanilla, Butter, Pumpkin, Milk together.  Add spices and brown sugar.  Flax see and pecans if desired.  Spoon into dish/dishes.  Mix topping together. Bake 375 degrees for 15 minutes.  Sprinkle topping over oatmeal and cook another 7-10 minutes.
Enjoy!
 

1 comment:

  1. This is so good, even DH has shared a link to your blog with his friends because of it!

    ReplyDelete