Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Perfect Company's Coming Dinner - Crockpot Boeuf Bourguignon

I can just hear Julia Child right now in my kitchen - Today we are going to prepare Boeuf Bourguignon!  Sounds complicated, right?  Wrong, this is almost as easy as making spaghetti!  Finding Joy in My Kitchen delivers a wonderful crockpot version.  Which is even easier than the very simple way I did it on the cooktop.  That is what happens when you have to grocery shop on the day you are preparing a crockpot meal.  I would have been able to still thrown all the goodies in the crock had my day moved a bit faster.  I wasn't comfortable with starting the crockpot on High at 2 for dinner last night.  So I improvised - and it was SO EASY!
Big Guy sat down for dinner, took one bite and said, "OH MY!".  And then there was silence!  This meal is a 5 STAR winner!  If you need an impressive tasting meal for company (family, friends, the boss), this is a guaranteed winner!
Here is Finding Joy in My Kitchen's Boeuf Bourguignon: (for 2 adults, and 2 kids, I 1/2 the recipe and it worked out perfectly!)
Crockpot Boeuf Bourguignon - Adapted from Sarah's Musings

~ 8 T of bacon bits (or 6 strips of bacon, diced)
3 pounds of stew beef, cubed
3 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 T flour
1 can (14 oz) beef broth/stock
1 C red wine
1 T tomato paste
1 tsp. thyme
1 large bay leaf
1/2 lb. frozen white pearl onions
1 lb. fresh white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. butter


Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy.  Remove the bacon to drain on a paper towel; leaving the bacon drippings in the pan.  Add meat cubes to the skillet and brown well.  If you use bacon bits, just brown the meat with a little olive oil, adding bacon bits to cook along with the beef.
Place browned meat in the crockpot.  Add carrots, garlic, and onion.  Season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle flour- this is to thicken and create a gravy.  Stir in beef broth and mix well.  Add tomato paste, wine, bacon, bay leaf and pearl onions.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.  About an hour prior to eating, saute mushrooms in melted butter.  Add sliced mushrooms.  Give it a good stir.  Cover again.  Serve over rice or we had a side of mashed potatoes.




Beef browned on cooktop in skillet, carrots and onions cooking.

Flour added, Stir well.

Wine added (I used a Merlot we enjoy drinking)

Tomato Past added.  What do you do with the extra in the can????  Check out this idea!

I added mushrooms directly to the pan since I was cooking on the cooktop.

Final Yummy Result!
Linked to Full Plate Thursday

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    Your Boeuf Bourguignon in the Crock Pot smells so good, I just had to have one more serving on my plate here at Full Plate Thursday. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for allowing me to visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my very, very favorite dinners...and I LOVEEE that you "simplified" it with the crock pot!! Awesome, Emily! :) I think I'll be tryin this real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe! It's amazing that it's so easy and that it's good enough for company!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU SnoWhite for posting it originally.

    ReplyDelete